While you get complete information on 11 maruti temples do not forget to visit Shivtharghal
Map created for 11 Maruti(अकरा मारुती) temple locations with precise locations of temples, so that you can pick the locations and use in your GPS navigator system (use below map) or for ease i have also jotted down GSP co-ordinates for you just copy it alongwith this map :-)
|Chaphal Veer maruti||17°23'45.3246''N 74°1'9.8965''E|
|Chaphal Bal/Khadicha maruti||17°23'16.1884''N 74°0'45.8528''E|
|Majgaon maruti||17°23'44.1247''N 74°1'20.9305''E|
|Manapadale Maruti||16°49'23.8742''N 74°13'48.0036''E|
|Pargaon maruti||16°52'43.09''N 74°13'53.4032''E|
|Battis Shirala maruti||16°59'10.6526''N 74°7'46.7461''E|
|Umbraj maruti||17°24'9.6394''N 74°6'11.0653''E|
|Masur maruti||17°24'8.4424''N 74°9'48.0712''E|
|Shahapur maruti||17°22'24.9712''N 74°10'6.7372''E|
|Baahe borgaon maruti||17°7'4.9912''N 74°16'14.6572''E|
View 11 Maruti temples by Saint Shri Swami Samartha in a larger map
The sequence for 11 maruti darshan can be as shown below in map snap
Chaphal (Daas,Pratap,Bal maruti)-Majgaon-Umbraj-Masur-Shahapur-Baahe Borgav-Battis Shirala-Pargaon-Manapadal. this will enable you to avoid too and fro travel and complete all temples in one sweep.
View Larger Map
There are n number of websites dedicated to Saint Shri Swami Samarth Ramdas (स्वामी समर्थ रामदास ) the Spiritual Guru of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj .... however I was surprised to find NO INFORMATION WAS AVAILABLE on the 11 Maruti temples established by Shri Swami Samarth Ramdas in the vicinity of Chaphal-Satara area in Maharashtra !!! These 11 Maruti's are also called as "Vaariche Maruti" which is similar to the famous Ashtavinayaka or eight Ganeshas, in Maharashtra
So I decided to put it on web ... so that if someone is interested to visit these historic places, he will be able to do it.
in year 1674 coronation of Chatrapati Shivaji took place, wherein Samrath Ramdas wrote a poetry "Anandbhuwani" which refers to the 11 Maruti temples ...
gupta te gupta janaawe| anandbhuwani||
List of 11 Maruti (Hanuman) temples established by Swami Samarth Ramdas in Maharashtra
Year 1566 - Shahapur, Chunyacha Maruti
Year 1567 - Masur, Maharudra hanuman
Year 1570 - Chaphal, Daas Maruti + Pratap Maruti
Year 1571 - Shinganwadi, Khadicha Maruti or Baal Maruti
Year 1571 - Umbraj, Umbraj Maruti or Mathatil Maruti
Year 1571 - Maajgav, Maajgavcha Maruti
Year 1573 - Baahe-Borgav, Baahe-Borgav cha Maruti
Year 1573 - Manapadale, Manapadale cha Maruti
Year 1574 - Pargav, Pargav cha Maruti
Year 1576 - Battis, Shirala, Veer Maruti stance
I will describe in brief about each Maruti as I get time (DONE-see post for details) ... till then here is just a brief path to travel to cover all these Maruti or Hanuman temples
Satara to Chaphal (cover three temples Daas Maruti + Pratap Maruti + Khadicha Maruti or Baal Maruti)
Chaphal to Umbraj (~11 kms) , on the way small diversion to Majgav (Maajgavcha Maruti)
at Umbraj visit (Umbraj Maruti or Mathatil Maruti)
Umbraj to Masur (~9 kms), visit Maharudra hanuman
Masur to Shahapur (~3 kms), visit Chunyacha Maruti
Shahapur to Karad to Baahe, visit Baahe-Borgav cha Maruti
Baahe to B'lore highway to Battis-Shirala, visit Veer Maruti
again to B'lore highway then Pargav, visit Pargav cha Maruti
Pargav to Manpadale, visit Manapadale cha Maruti
Manapadale to Kolhapur (End)
|Year||Location||a.k.a. Name of Maruti||Idol height, Feets||Idol facing towards||Idol made of|
|1570||Chaphal||Pratap or Veer Maruti||6~7|
|1571||Shinganwadi||Khadicha Maruti or Baal Maruti||3.5||North|
|1571||Umbraj||Umbraj Maruti or Mathatil Maruti||6||East||Lime+ Sand+ Jute|
|1573||Baahe- Borgav||Baahe-Borgav cha Maruti|
|1573||Manapadale||Manapadale cha Maruti||5.25||North|
|1574||Pargav||Pargav cha Maruti||1.5||Engraved in stone|
1) Shahapur - Chunyacha Maruti > Worship is done by Kulkarni family of Shahapur, Hanuman Jayanti festival is celebrated on Chaitra Shudhha 15 every year. There is `^" height brass idol which they take to Chaphal Ram Navami Utsav.
2) Masur - Maharudra Hanuman > Worrship is done by Kulkarni family of Bramhapuri, Hanuman Jayanti festival is celebrated on Chaitra Shudhha 15 every year. This is the best and most beautiful in all 11 temples. To the left & right of main idol Shivaji Maharaj & Shri Swami Samartha are painted on the wall. Here you can stay at Monastery of Ramdasi Maharaj (information ~20 years old to be confirmed)
3) Das Maruti > Hanuman is in Namaskar position it is standing in front of Ram in Chaphal temple
4) Pratap Maruti > situated behind Shri Ram temple of Chaphal also called as Bhim Maruti, Pratap Maruti or Veer MAruti. Festival is celebrated at Sharavan Vadya 30. You can stay at Monestery in Chaphal near Ram mandir (this facility I have seen in 2009, so you can stay there)
5) Shinganvadi > very near to Chaphal. Ramghal is located where Swami Samrtha used to do meditation. Also spring water called as Kubadi Tirtha is found here. It is said that Swamiji created this to give water to thirsty Shivaji Maharaj. This is the smallest temple of all 11 temples.
6) Umbraj > Idol is made of lime + Sand + Jute. This is called as Umbraj Maruti or Mathatil Maruti. Thing to note is that there in no spire to this temple !
7) Majgav > Idol is facing towards West i.e. it is looking towards Ram Mandir of Chaphal.
8) Bahe-Borgav > Located on the bank of Krishna river near Borgav. Temple is located on island called as "Ramlinga". On which there is ancient Rama temple and in front of this there is Shiv Linga. Behind the Rama temple Maruti is located who is in a stance of diverting Krushna river water flow using his both hands :-)
9) Manpadale > located near Kolhapur, there is ~26' x 15' hall in front of the temple
10) Pargav - Smallest idol of all 11 Maruti which is engraved ni a stone (~1.5' height)
11) Battis-Shirala > Battis-Shirala is also famous as Battis-Shirala for snake catching. Worship is done by Deshpande family.
If you wish to go for 3 days tour package to visit 11 Maruti temples in Maharashtra, you have a tour package available by VanRaj Travels - 11 MARUTI with CHAPHAL
Websites providing information on Saint Shri Swami Samarth RamdasSaint Shri Samarth Ramdas from WikiPedia
Saint Shri Samarth Ramdas - an Elixir of Human Excellence
get more information on his writings in Marathi Dasbodh, Manache Shlok, Atma RamShree Kshetra Dervan - A Center of Pilgrimage.
Shri Samarth Seva Mandal, Sajjangadh
Speech given by Prof. Shivajirao Bhosale on Samartha Ramdas in Marathi
Shri Samarth Ramdas - the inspirer of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj on HINDUPEDIA
For writing this post reference is taken from a book "Samrtha Sthapit Akara Maruti" by Writer Pu. Vi. Harshe, published in 1983
During the time I have visited only three of these Maruti temples, blog readers if have any new information please inform me for updation here in the blog post.
New photographs shared with me by one of the devotees are posted here for all 11 Maruti's (update March 2012) I wish to mention name after his approval on the blog :-)